Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grading Waldrep's Stuff

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,162 Posts

Grading Waldrep's Stuff

Waldrep has thrown enough FAs, FSs, and SLs to rank them against other pitchers. His command/execution has been pretty awful, so let's see if the stuff is good enough to even worry about waiting for him to "learn how to pitch".

FA: 95.8 mph (115 of 562), 4.0" Arm-side (493 of 592), 13.8" Vertical (421 of 592)

This movement profile is disappointing. He comes over the top, as evidenced by the very small amount of arm-side run (similar to Ian Anderson), but the low spin rate of 2161 (443 of 592) doesn't give the FA much rise. I'm not sure why the Braves allow a guy with such low spin to throw a FA as his only fastball, but we've seen it a lot lately where guys very clearly should be focusing on a 2 seamer....but they aren't. This is not a good pitch on it's own, and will rely on location and playing off the split to be effective. We are already starting to see why Waldrep has a low margin for error when relying on a FA that simply doesn't move like an MLB FA.

FS: 85.9 mph (59 of 90), 8.1" Arm-side (69 of 90), 2.2" Vertical (28 of 90, lower is better)

While this pitch doesn't seem to have an impressive movement profile, it has a remarkably low spin rate of only 690 (3 of 90). The only pitches with less spin currently in the sport are Waldron's knuckleball at 250, and 2 other splitters at 520 and 668. Is that good? Who knows, but it does produce 2" more of arm-side run than the other comparable splitters. This is a very unique pitch, and learning how to use it as a weapon rather than a novelty will be the key to his success.

SL: 87.0 mph (118 of 469), 1.7" Glove-side (401 of 469), 1.5" Vertical (215 of 469, lower is better)

This is not a very good pitch, and like everything else, the spin rate is low at 2196 (395 of 469). It drops a little, but doesn't move across the plate much at all...which is the whole point of a slider. That's literally while they are called sliders.

Overall: The data shows us a guy with low spin FA and SL, and a no spin splitter that doesn't seem to translate into notable movement. I'm not sure what the Braves were scouting when they popped him in the first round, but it certainly wasn't the usual pitch metrics most teams seem to be looking for with amateur arms. He has good velocity, but he can't spin the ball to create much movement. It's hard to suggest a sinker since it will look very similar to the split, and his breaking ball doesn't move enough in the opposite direction to be an obvious pitch off the split either. Unless he figures out how to weaponize that no spin split, it's hard to see a path forward unless the command/execution becomes elite.

This arsenal is disappointing, and I hope he figures something out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,597 Posts
    Literally every write up of our pitching prospects is copy/paste outside of Strider. Low spin fastball, with one stand out pitch along with a bunch of mediocre to bad offerings. Even Fried has a bad fastball. Why can’t we draft guys with major league fastballs? It makes things so much easier.

Danville Rookie
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    I wonder if his stuff was in any way affected if he has some sort of elbow impingement (or worse, injury)- he’s apparently hitting the DL with abnormal elbow soreness but just fyi - his stuff may well be what Enscheff noted but it’s worth a revisit when he returns healthy.

Outskirts Of Mobile, Alabama. Roll Tide!!!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,880 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ramadon101 View Post
    I wonder if his stuff was in any way affected if he has some sort of elbow impingement (or worse, injury)- he’s apparently hitting the DL with abnormal elbow soreness but just fyi - his stuff may well be what Enscheff noted but it’s worth a revisit when he returns healthy.
    Yeah, he’s on the IL with elbow inflammation
    Chopping With The Braves And Rolling With The Tide

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,936 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ramadon101 View Post
    Came here to wonder that out loud, bc the split was not the table setter I had expected to see
    Ivermectin Man

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,048 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    Came here to wonder that out loud, bc the split was not the table setter I had expected to see
    He showed a very impressive split in his first outing. He didn't look very good at all yesterday though.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Carp For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (06-17-2024)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,807 Posts
    As I said yesterday, try to trade him for a useful piece.

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,834 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    As I said yesterday, try to trade him for a useful piece.
    lol
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,807 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    lol
    I'm just not a fan. Maybe you can use him as reliever just throwing the split, but he can't throw strikes

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,048 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    I'm just not a fan. Maybe you can use him as reliever just throwing the split, but he can't throw strikes
    It's 2 starts dude, and quite clearly he was dealing with some sort of injury yesterday.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Carp For This Useful Post:

Hudson2 (06-17-2024), jpx7 (06-17-2024)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,807 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    It's 2 starts dude, and quite clearly he was dealing with some sort of injury yesterday.
    I've watched him since his college career began at southern Miss. When we took him, I wasn't thrilled, but got sold on the hype of the splitter. I feel like my initial impression was right. I would love him to end up being great, but this data by enscheff sorta confirms that the arsenal really isn't there.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,162 Posts
    I realize fans are going to make excuses whenever they can, but in his first start he spun the FA at 2192, then 2133 in his last start. The slider spun at 2202 and 2192. It's not like the injury caused any measurables to change meaningfully, so the stuff was mediocre in both games.

Perhaps he was injured in both starts? Either way, blaming poor stuff on an elbow injury isn't exactly making anything better.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,807 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    I realize fans are going to make excuses whenever they can, but in his first start he spun the FA at 2192, then 2133 in his last start. The slider spun at 2202 and 2192. It's not like the injury caused any measurables to change meaningfully, so the stuff was mediocre in both games.

Perhaps he was injured in both starts? Either way, blaming poor stuff on an elbow injury isn't exactly making anything better.
    Can he be a reliever that just throws splitter after splitter?

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    96 Posts
    He’s not even injured he’s reporting soreness after the fact.

Spring Training Invitee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    33 Posts
    Pretty disappointing profile. Been getting Ian Anderson vibes from the start from him. At this point, it's difficult to understand what the Braves saw in him. I'm ready to be proven wrong.

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    445 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Strike3urout View Post
    Pretty disappointing profile. Been getting Ian Anderson vibes from the start from him. At this point, it's difficult to understand what the Braves saw in him. I'm ready to be proven wrong.
    There shouldn't be any excuse for teams to overvalue and overdraft a guy with poor metrics if that player came from a high D-1 program like Florida (or really any in the SEC or ACC outside of Missouri). All those schools have Trackman or something similar. Spin rates, vertical/horizontal movement, and accurate velocities should be available for anyone under draft consideration.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,905 Posts
    Does his splitter not grade out really well? Virtually everyone that has discussed him has talked that pitch up.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (06-18-2024)

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    96 Posts
    There’s nothing wrong with drafting a guy like him late in the 1st round. It was a good pick. He’s got plus velo and a plus splitter, look at the silly swings he gets on those splitters. The issue is development. Maybe tweaking the arm slot so the fastball plays up better or improving the extension on his pitches. Helping polish his command, identify a pitch that compliments what he currently possesses. I could see right away in his 1st start this stuff wasn’t going to work and that’s without any access to data.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to atl717 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (06-18-2024)

Spring Training Invitee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    33 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Does his splitter not grade out really well? Virtually everyone that has discussed him has talked that pitch up.
    Maybe…but then you basically have Ian Anderson: great change-up, but straight fastball with inconsistent command, and so-so breaking ball. So his ceiling is MOR. It’s not that those aren’t useful, but that is disappointing for a first round pick.

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,834 Posts
    Maybe…but then you basically have Ian Anderson: great change-up, but straight fastball with inconsistent command, and so-so breaking ball. So his ceiling is MOR. It’s not that those aren’t useful, but that is disappointing for a first round pick.
    A successful MOR is definitively not disappointing for a late first-round pick. And it's only slightly disappointing for a very early first-round pick, like Ian Anderson.

The big questions are: Can Anderson consistently return to that form? Can Waldrep consistently develop that form? I'm much more optimistic regarding the latter.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."