Page 94 of 99 FirstFirst ... 44849293949596 ... LastLast
Results 1,861 to 1,880 of 1966

Thread: Star Wars Discussion Thread (Spoilers Inside)

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,483 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Krgrecw View Post
    Nah. It’s okay to say it’s trash. People will actually respect you more
    You went into the show looking for it to suck. So you're going to think it sucks. The show could be the best show of the year and you'd think it's trash and you'd find people who'd share that opinion.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,046 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    You went into the show looking for it to suck. So you're going to think it sucks. The show could be the best show of the year and you'd think it's trash and you'd find people who'd share that opinion.
    I don't know why you've chosen to die on this hill. At best, the show is mediocre. But it's getting routinely trashed by Star Wars fans and casual fans alike.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,054 Posts
    We're 3 episodes in. It's too early to say it's awesome, mediocre, or terrible.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,046 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post
    We're 3 episodes in. It's too early to say it's awesome, mediocre, or terrible.
    We can objectively critique what we've seen so far. And it hasn't been great. It's been downright cringe at other times.

**NOT ACTUALLY RACIST
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    444 Posts
    No I didn’t. The show sucks

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,483 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Krgrecw View Post
    No I didn’t. The show sucks
    Yes you did. When the trailer dropped you posted something along the lines of "Anyone notice anything about this trailer?"

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,046 Posts
    Yes you did. When the trailer dropped you posted something along the lines of "Anyone notice anything about this trailer?"
    Even if that were true, it would have no bearing on whether or not the show actually sucked. I went into Suicide Squad expecting it suck. Somehow, it was worse than I anticipated.

**NOT ACTUALLY RACIST
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    444 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    Even if that were true, it would have no bearing on whether or not the show actually sucked. I went into Suicide Squad expecting it suck. Somehow, it was worse than I anticipated.

He’s right. I did say that. Friday is the funniest movie ever made. No whites in that. Barbershop was also pretty damn good and no whites in that. This show just sucks. Has nothing to do with the color of the cast

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,483 Posts
    You just said "I went into a movie expecting it to suck, and it did" and expect that to be a decent point? Haha.

A better example would be I didn't think I'd like Clone Wars because I hated AotC and TPM and thought who would care. Didn't watch it for it's first season or 2. But started casually catching it as the lead in to adult swim and realized it wasn't bad and loved it. But it was things like that that taught me to not go into something with a negative attitude. Dredd is another example, I hated the Stallone film and thought this was just a reboot and was not interested. Til I caught it on Netflix and was like damn wish I saw it in theaters.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,046 Posts
    You just said "I went into a movie expecting it to suck, and it did" and expect that to be a decent point? Haha.

A better example would be I didn't think I'd like Clone Wars because I hated AotC and TPM and thought who would care. Didn't watch it for it's first season or 2. But started casually catching it as the lead in to adult swim and realized it wasn't bad and loved it. But it was things like that that taught me to not go into something with a negative attitude. Dredd is another example, I hated the Stallone film and thought this was just a reboot and was not interested. Til I caught it on Netflix and was like damn wish I saw it in theaters.
    Was Suicide Squad good or not?

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,905 Posts
    I have a friend like Zito who is a true believer in his fandoms. He sucks up anything comic book or star wars related. He even defended The Flash. To me, Star Wars under Disney has been very hit or miss and mostly a miss. Which is a shame. Whether one wants to admit it or not they have lost a lot of the fans of the first 6 movies. Personally I'm apathetic to anything that's coming out these days. Some stuff surrpises me, like Andor, but it's mostly meh at best.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

Tapate50 (06-18-2024)

**NOT ACTUALLY RACIST
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    444 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    I have a friend like Zito who is a true believer in his fandoms. He sucks up anything comic book or star wars related. He even defended The Flash. To me, Star Wars under Disney has been very hit or miss and mostly a miss. Which is a shame. Whether one wants to admit it or not they have lost a lot of the fans of the first 6 movies. Personally I'm apathetic to anything that's coming out these days. Some stuff surrpises me, like Andor, but it's mostly meh at best.
    I wonder how much of the disconnect is because people like myself were kids when SW came it. It was awesome. We were excited when the prequels were announced a decade later. And that’s where zitos generation entered into SW land. Their first real experience was the prequels, and my generation started getting turned off by them. They didn’t measure up to the original trilogy. But if you grew up during the prequels you could think they were amazing and think everything Disney is doing is amazing, while people my age just want star wars to be what it once was

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Krgrecw For This Useful Post:

Tapate50 (06-18-2024)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,483 Posts
    Was Suicide Squad good or not?
    No, but that doesn't negate the point. You going into something thinking it sucks is going to skew your opinion that it sucks. I went into Rise of Skywalker with hope the only thing I knew would annoy me was that I knew force healing was gonna be in there and that honestly could have skewed my opinion. I didn't go into Suicide Squad thinking it was going to be bad. I thought it was going to be a fun movie. How unfun it was was a clear detriment to the film. For example I went to see Argylle assuming it was going to be a violent beatem up that would be a fun popcorn movie. It was. If I went in thinking it was going to be a great movie I would have been disappointed. If I went in thinking it sucked I would have left thinking it would suck.

I don't understand why this is so hard to understand. Your biases effect your viewership. It's a known fact. Positively or negatively. As I pointed out krg was looking for the show to suck before the show came out. He'll confirm said biases by watching it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,483 Posts
    Woah, I never defended the Flash. I think DCEU is trash. Only DCEU movies I enjoyed were Birds of Prey and THe Suicide Squad. The rest can rot in hell. I hope Gunn can bring back some comic magic to those films that Zack Snyder sucked out.

What I am is a pragmatist. I was 12 when TPM came out 14 when AotC and 16 when RotS came out. I saw what happened to those films. They were hated. Genuinely reviled. Going back as an adult there were choices made in those films that were not great. but they hardly were the **** storm that the Fandom Menace made them. It's why I criticized Disney's direction with Rise of Skywalker going to pander to the people who just wanted fan service because it made for a **** film. They should have stood their ground and made quality films and you know art. As that was George's intent. He could disagree with the direction taken but if the films were artistic he would have given them a bit of respect. TLJ was a decidedly Star Wars film. It wasn't a fanservice film, it was Star Wars. It drew from the same inspiration Lucas drew from and worked on it. TRoS is a PoS. I never expected a Star Wars film to overtake Episodes 1 and 2 (or Clone Wars if we count that) as the worst Star Wars movie. But it did in rousing fashion and for no reason. Literally made **** up that didn't need to be made up. Felt rushed, felt forced. made everyone feel dumb. It's an embarrassment in film making and Disney should be ashamed for putting it out. I've seen the movie 3 times and each time my opinion grows worse. I even tried to clear my mind of my prejudices as best as possible before the last one but wound up immediately kicking boxes with lightspeed skipping and somehow the ties being able to track them through lightspeed. 2 things made up for no reason other than JJ thought it woudl be cool.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,046 Posts
    No, but that doesn't negate the point. You going into something thinking it sucks is going to skew your opinion that it sucks. I went into Rise of Skywalker with hope the only thing I knew would annoy me was that I knew force healing was gonna be in there and that honestly could have skewed my opinion. I didn't go into Suicide Squad thinking it was going to be bad. I thought it was going to be a fun movie. How unfun it was was a clear detriment to the film. For example I went to see Argylle assuming it was going to be a violent beatem up that would be a fun popcorn movie. It was. If I went in thinking it was going to be a great movie I would have been disappointed. If I went in thinking it sucked I would have left thinking it would suck.

I don't understand why this is so hard to understand. Your biases effect your viewership. It's a known fact. Positively or negatively. As I pointed out krg was looking for the show to suck before the show came out. He'll confirm said biases by watching it.
    Whether or not you expect a movie to suck has no bearing on whether it ACTUALLY sucked. That's the point. Suicide squad was awful. It's been panned by critics and fans alike. No amount of pre-screening bias was going to change that fact that it was hot garbage.

And I've gone into several movies expecting them to suck or otherwise be underwhelming and yet I was pleasantly surprised with what I watched. D&D with Chris Pine was that way. Venom was that way as well. Hell, even Ricky Stanicky with John Cena is a recent one I never thought I would like, because films where Cena is the main star are almost entirely hot garbage. And yet I found it very enjoyable as well.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,905 Posts
    Woah, I never defended the Flash. I think DCEU is trash. Only DCEU movies I enjoyed were Birds of Prey and THe Suicide Squad. The rest can rot in hell. I hope Gunn can bring back some comic magic to those films that Zack Snyder sucked out.

What I am is a pragmatist. I was 12 when TPM came out 14 when AotC and 16 when RotS came out. I saw what happened to those films. They were hated. Genuinely reviled. Going back as an adult there were choices made in those films that were not great. but they hardly were the **** storm that the Fandom Menace made them. It's why I criticized Disney's direction with Rise of Skywalker going to pander to the people who just wanted fan service because it made for a **** film. They should have stood their ground and made quality films and you know art. As that was George's intent. He could disagree with the direction taken but if the films were artistic he would have given them a bit of respect. TLJ was a decidedly Star Wars film. It wasn't a fanservice film, it was Star Wars. It drew from the same inspiration Lucas drew from and worked on it. TRoS is a PoS. I never expected a Star Wars film to overtake Episodes 1 and 2 (or Clone Wars if we count that) as the worst Star Wars movie. But it did in rousing fashion and for no reason. Literally made **** up that didn't need to be made up. Felt rushed, felt forced. made everyone feel dumb. It's an embarrassment in film making and Disney should be ashamed for putting it out. I've seen the movie 3 times and each time my opinion grows worse. I even tried to clear my mind of my prejudices as best as possible before the last one but wound up immediately kicking boxes with lightspeed skipping and somehow the ties being able to track them through lightspeed. 2 things made up for no reason other than JJ thought it woudl be cool.
    I never said you did. I'm just saying my friend is like like you in that regard. You've lapped up literally everything Disney Star Wars related minus ROS, no?

The overall prequel hate suffered from Phantom Menance. That and bad dialouge throughout but that's a pretty reoccuring theme in all Star Wars projects. Personally I put ROTS on par with ROTJ overall. It ended really strong and I think that's a pretty universal opinion.

There doesn't need to be strictly fan service movies but subverting fans expectations just to be 'artistic' doesn't make much sense and is such a cop out. What they did to Luke in the sequels is a war crime. He had no reason to go be a hermit. Trying to kill his nephew because of a nightmare and running away? Get real. That is not the same Luke in the OG movies that broke away from the Jedi ways and embraced his attachments with others. Not the same Luke who knew there was good left in Anakin and risked everything to bring him back.

Force Awakens was a huge nostalgia hit that tricked me the first time I saw it. They played their hand well there. But looking back. The whole sequel trilogy is badly written fan fiction and each movie got worse.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

Carp (06-18-2024), Tapate50 (06-18-2024)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,046 Posts
    I never said you did. I'm just saying my friend is like like you in that regard. You've lapped up literally everything Disney Star Wars related minus ROS, no?

The overall prequel hate suffered from Phantom Menance. That and bad dialouge throughout but that's a pretty reoccuring theme in all Star Wars projects. Personally I put ROTS on par with ROTJ overall. It ended really strong and I think that's a pretty universal opinion.

There doesn't need to be strictly fan service movies but subverting fans expectations just to be 'artistic' doesn't make much sense and is such a cop out. What they did to Luke in the sequels is a war crime. He had no reason to go be a hermit. Trying to kill his nephew because of a nightmare and running away? Get real. That is not the same Luke in the OG movies that broke away from the Jedi ways and embraced his attachments with others. Not the same Luke who knew there was good left in Anakin and risked everything to bring him back.

Force Awakens was a huge nostalgia hit that tricked me the first time I saw it. They played their hand well there. But looking back. The whole sequel trilogy is badly written fan fiction and each movie got worse.
    I feel like most of TPM hate can largely be attributed to Jar Jar Binks and the pod race, which they wasted like 40 minutes of film time on. The subtly racist viceroy at the start of the film was a bit off-putting too. But the battle scenes were truly epic.
    Last edited by Carp; 06-18-2024 at 10:23 AM.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,905 Posts
    I feel like most of TPM hate can largely be attributed to Jar Jar Binks and the pod race, which they wasted like 40 minutes of film time on. The subtly racist viceroy at the start of the film was a bit off-putting too. But the battle scenes were truly epic.
    Agreed. Lot's of bloat. It's what brings ROTJ down with the Ewoks. I get it that Lucas put a lot of **** in to sell toys but damn that was wild.

Should have given us more Maul.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

Carp (06-18-2024)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,483 Posts
    Agreed. Lot's of bloat. It's what brings ROTJ down with the Ewoks. I get it that Lucas put a lot of **** in to sell toys but damn that was wild.

Should have given us more Maul.
    Maul didn't matter. Maul was also created to literally sell toys (double bladed lightsaber, obvious villain) Maul literally was a footprint. He didn't matter he added nothing to the overall plot of the prequels other than his death meant Sidious needed a new Apprentice.

That's the problem with TPM is that nothing in it matters. The stuff that does (anakin being the chosen one with a high midichlorian count) could have been done with 2 lines of dialogue during a training session in the next film. Or a debrief about a mission where obi wan says something like "I know my master believes him to be the chosen one, and he has the highest midichlorian count" blah blah blah. Thing introduced in the film arebasically discarded. Midichlorians aren't mentioned in the other films. Anakin being the chosen one isn't brought up til the very end of RotS. The plot points are barely brought back. Anakin's attachment to his mother is probably the biggest thing. But also from a movie standpoint the decision to recast Anakin but not Padme is a wild one. Natalie is 8 years older than Jake Lloyd, and the same age as Hayden Christensen. It was an awkward and weird choice.

I can forgive cheesy dialogue. It's not like the dialogue of the OT was anything amazing. But I can't forgive movies that basically are to set things up and none of it matters because the main protagonist, main antagonist are both defeated. I understand that Anakin is the overarching protagonist, but he's not in the movie until 40 minutes in. We spend the vast majority of the film following Qui Gon, he's the protagonist of the film.

Podracing was honestly one of the better parts of the film, it was one of the few moments of the film that had any real tension. That and Duel of the Fates were basically all the drama and tension of the film.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,483 Posts

My apologies for misunderstanding you were talking about your friend. I haven't lapped up everything Disney Star Wars related minus RoS. I don't care for Kenobi, Book of Boba Fett, I'm glad the Cara Dune project was cancelled because that was going to be ****. A handful of other projects that were intended for kids I never watched and I did watch Resistance but didn't really care about it except for I loved Donald Faison's rodian. And there were many comics and other things I haven't jumped in on. I Also am largely out on TFA now. I still can watch it but I realize how shallow it was and how much of a waste of a movie it was because 0 character development happened.

Prequel Hate wasn't just Phantom Menace. Attack of the Clones was hated. THe I don't like Sand has become memefied to what people like. But it was heavily criticized back then.

I"ve said it a billion times I wouldn't have written the Force Awakens the way they did. To me it was not the wisest choice to leave Luke on the sidelines and make a map to find him the MacGuffin. Especially when in the big picture of it, where the Empire already basically had everything mapped out so really the First Order could have been sending ships with probe droids to that area and have them scout all the areas for signs of him. I understand space is massive yada yada yada. But the fact it wasn't a strategy implies the First Order is so smart and powerfu lthey know exactly who has the map to skywalker but so dump they couldn't send probe droids to see the part of the map no one else had.

That being said with what happened in TFA you have to explain why Luke wasn't there. Why wasn't he hopping in his X-Wing when he felt millions of people die when they destroyed Hosnian Prime? Well if he's not connected to the force he wouldn't know they died, if he's totalled his X-Wing he wouldn't leave. All logical jumps and aren't a defeat of his character if his belief was he was harming people by being around them. Which is a leap, but it's not outlandish. Luke in RotJ left his friends because he believed he would compromise the mission.

I agree TFA did a bad job, I'm not going to argue that point. But what would people expect from TLJ?