Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: 6/16 GDT: rays game 3

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,046 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonCowboy View Post
    Rays will be an interesting team to see what they do between now and the trade deadline
    Arozarena would be a really good pick up if we could swing it.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Carp For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (06-17-2024)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,162 Posts
    Like I said after his first start, Waldrep gives me the Wright vibe. Wright had great stuff he was unable to execute with command.

We will see tomorrow if Waldrep’s stuff is good enough to even worry about tomorrow when the statcast data is available. I’m guessing the FA is good, the split is great, and the slider is passable, but the data will tell us for sure.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,046 Posts
    Fastball looks very flat to me. Obviously he kept leaving pitches too high in the zone, but when you pair that with a flat fastball, you're gonna get lit up.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,596 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Krgrecw View Post
    Has Bowman always been a piece of ****? Anything to be ‘first’
    Who ****ing cares?

And I can guarantee you Bowman has never been first in anything but the buffet line.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    671 Posts
    It occur to anyone else that- at least in part - the real reason we are going with six starters is to showcase Waldrep, AJSS, Schwelly against MLB hitters?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,009 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hulavol View Post
    It occur to anyone else that- at least in part - the real reason we are going with six starters is to showcase Waldrep, AJSS, Schwelly against MLB hitters?
    I don't think this is honestly the case, but if it is, AA is a dingus because Hurston VERY clearly wasn't ready. However, AJSS hasn't hurt his case in his six starts, and I think Spencer Schellwnbach has done the same with a respectable 3.86 xERA. His slider and splitter have been elite.
    Last edited by UNCBlue012; 06-17-2024 at 09:10 AM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to UNCBlue012 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (06-17-2024)

Outskirts Of Mobile, Alabama. Roll Tide!!!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,880 Posts
    Waldrep didn’t get sent down. Instead, he’s on the IL with elbow inflammation
    Chopping With The Braves And Rolling With The Tide

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,362 Posts
    You got your wish, Msstate. Wall is back.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,807 Posts
    Wish is a string word... if I got my wish, we'd have someone better than wall haha

I'll take him though vs rhp for now

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,757 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hulavol View Post

No because if any of them showed to be a capable starter now they would be too valuable to trade. If we wanted to trade them then best to let them dominate AAA. Our top 3 SP will all have a big innings increase by August and we need to keep them fresh for October. Lopez has already exceeded last year, Fried is very close, and Sale will be at his 2023 total in a couple starts and that's with the extra days of rest.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,046 Posts
    Offense is definitely heating up with the weather. Even Kelenic has an .880 OPS over the last 28 days. Now just gotta get Murphy and Ozzie on board.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jsebe10 View Post
    *************Ozzie get your head outta your ass
    Smut language is one thing but profanity is another.....Stop the profanity. You know what the *'s stand for.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,596 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BabyElle View Post
    Smut language is one thing but profanity is another.....Stop the profanity. You know what the *'s stand for.
    You’re complaining about someone censoring their language.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CyYoung31 View Post
    You’re complaining about someone censoring their language.
    No, I'm not complaining about someone censoring their language...just the opposite. He is not censoring his language. If there are not any rules or guidelines about language then why do posters use ** instead of just saying what they are thinking? This poster has no censors for himself at all. He recently had a post removed because of how vulgar it was.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,596 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BabyElle View Post
    No, I'm not complaining about someone censoring their language...just the opposite. He is not censoring his language. If there are not any rules or guidelines about language then why do posters use ** instead of just saying what they are thinking? This poster has no censors for himself at all. He recently had a post removed because of how vulgar it was.
    So, you are complaining about someone censoring their language?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CyYoung31 View Post
    So, you are complaining about someone censoring their language?
    No, I'm complaining because he is not censoring his language. He just says anything he wants without any filter and he's very offensive.......guess he's just expressing his 14 year old mentality.. Is there an 'ignore' feature on this forum. I know many have that feature.

Never mind, I found it.....jseb10 is off to the stockyards where he belongs.
    Last edited by BabyElle; 06-17-2024 at 04:21 PM.

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    224 Posts
    This is as good a place as any to post this. I like keeping track W-L for the team for every starter. It does give insight into how well the team is playing when the designated starters are going, which is what I'm getting to: The Braves are 4-12 in any game not started by Fried, Sale, Lopez, Morton or Strider. They are 35-19 when the projected starters pitched.

They started 26-13, and they went to one of those extra starters 7 times and 3-4. Not great but okay. Since then those extra starters have gone 1-8, and lost seven in a row. The regular starters have gone 12-10.

So the Braves had their last 31 games where they had those AAAA dudes go 9 times. If we had our regular guys go on 5 games rest (not even 5 days), we could had them pitch 3 more games in that span and maybe won 2 of them.

That doesnt seem like much, but if we extrapolate that strategy and result over the remaining 90 games we are throwing away 27 games. That is an entire starter season. The Braves only have a 6 game lead over those 10 middling teams in the middle of the NL WC race, and we can't afford to be doing that with the offense as it stands right now. 3 of those teams are going to end up with 90 wins.

What's the answer? There isn't a great solution, but I think the best one is calling up Elder and letting him go as the 5th starter. Ditch the 6th until we know we are in, then give these guys some rest. At least Elder's proven he can eat innings and get the job done enough to at least be close to .500.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,905 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerfherders View Post
    This is as good a place as any to post this. I like keeping track W-L for the team for every starter. It does give insight into how well the team is playing when the designated starters are going, which is what I'm getting to: The Braves are 4-12 in any game not started by Fried, Sale, Lopez, Morton or Strider. They are 35-19 when the projected starters pitched.

They started 26-13, and they went to one of those extra starters 7 times and 3-4. Not great but okay. Since then those extra starters have gone 1-8, and lost seven in a row. The regular starters have gone 12-10.

So the Braves had their last 31 games where they had those AAAA dudes go 9 times. If we had our regular guys go on 5 games rest (not even 5 days), we could had them pitch 3 more games in that span and maybe won 2 of them.

That doesnt seem like much, but if we extrapolate that strategy and result over the remaining 90 games we are throwing away 27 games. That is an entire starter season. The Braves only have a 6 game lead over those 10 middling teams in the middle of the NL WC race, and we can't afford to be doing that with the offense as it stands right now. 3 of those teams are going to end up with 90 wins.

What's the answer? There isn't a great solution, but I think the best one is calling up Elder and letting him go as the 5th starter. Ditch the 6th until we know we are in, then give these guys some rest. At least Elder's proven he can eat innings and get the job done enough to at least be close to .500.
    Only real part I disagree with is 3 of those other teams getting to 90 wins. I mean anything can happen but the Phillies were the top WC team last year at 90 wins. Dbacks and Marlins got in at 84 wins a piece. I see that happening this year as well. After the Braves the NL is very meh.

That being said you are right. The Braves don't really have the offense, right now, to keep those kind of starters out there. Last year they did have that offense and a huge lead so it didn't really matter who was pitching after the top 3.

Elder does make the most sense. I get his ceiling isn't high but he can keep you in a lot of games. Especially with how ****ty most teams are. I know they want Sale and Fried as fresh as possible but like you I'd probablly ride a 5 man rotation through the trade deadline at least. Maybe pick up another arm there to stretch it back out to a 6 man. The slop they are running out there now isn't getting it done.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,807 Posts
    Elder is gonna be traded for someone. I'd bet on it

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,046 Posts
    Eflin still makes the most since in terms of fit, imo. With an 18 million dollar hit in 2025, the Rays surely want to move on from him. We could probably get him essentially free if we ate the entire salary, but I don't know how the luxury tax is affected with this move. Is it pro-rated, like the salary?

Other pitchers I like that fit what AA likes to do:

Sean Manea, 2025 player option.
    Nathan Eovaldi, 2025 vesting option
    Jon Gray, 1 year left under current contract
    Chris Bassit, 1 more year control at 22 million
    Jack Flaherty, no control but his contract is super cheap
    Nick Pivetta

Even Verlander would be a good pick up if Houston would eat most of his remaining contract this year. And it seems unlikely at this point that he reaches his vesting option of 140 innings pitched.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Carp For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (06-18-2024)