Page 97 of 100 FirstFirst ... 47879596979899 ... LastLast
Results 1,921 to 1,940 of 1999

Thread: Jecki Lon Memorial Star Wars Thread

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,054 Posts
    I'm not advocating for a shot for shot adaptation of Heir to the Empire. It wouldn't translate great. But you can certainly cherry pick the best parts of the expanded universe.

Again, the problem is that fans have had decades of pretty good stories that the new content has to measure up to. The expanded universe set the expectations for the quality of the sequels.

What we were given was an absolute disaster of a trilogy. With the high expectations it left a lot of fans upset.

I will agree that they've done a great job working Thrawn into the story. Lars Mickelson is brilliant.

And the common thread for the vast majority of the good Star Wars content the last decade is Dave Filoni. His lot in life seems to be fixing Star Wars when other people screw it up. He did it with Clone Wars when the prequels caused problems and he's doing it now for the sequels. He's having to spend huge amounts of time fixing the "Somehow Palpatine's returned" line.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,905 Posts
    Ah Dave Filoni. The guy who had to get knowledge checked by Sam Witwer when he wanted Padme and Shmi to meet for the first time in The Clone Wars when that already happened in TPM.

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,485 Posts
    90% of the EU was garbage. Bad content in good books, things that don't make sense in the canon (Starkiller) etc. Lucas already grabbed many of the better aspects of the EU in the prequels and clone wars.

No one needed the EU. what we needed was a cohesive story. We didn't get that. But the films aren't why people are the way they are. And the biggest mistake Disney made was letting the Fandom Menace change the direction of the final movie. Trevorrow's script was a continuation of the story. Not a deletion of tons of history. What was wrong about it could have been fixed. Instead we have JJ throwing the baby out with the bathwater. Literally dog****.

Again I wouldn't have done 9 like Treverrow would have done. I would have included a gap adn time jump. Leia is killed in a flashback to start the film because of Carrie's passing. We now have leapt forward say 5 years. Not too long but long enough that the first order can complete their galactic conquest, that the resistance is able to reform and more importantly, Rey is able to start creating her Jedi Order. Not saying she needs a ton but give her a Padawan. Make it the kid from the end of TLJ, make it Finn, who cares. The film opens on the heros in the same way RotJ opens that way. Heroes setting forth the plans they need to do to get back on top. The core crew going to do a mission to get some asset they need to defeat the first order. Lets say in this one there's an rebellion weapon cache that Lando stored away instead of letting decommissioned as he feared a return of empire forces. These weapons are important to reoutfit the resistance. Finn, Rose and Poe lead a resistance force to the capital world be it coruscant or whatever, to organize guerrila warfare against the first order. Kylo Ren after conqueing the Galaxy has become obsessed with power and found a sith holocron intended for Vader in Mustafar (insert scene of him killing Sith cultists protecting the holocron) But anyway he finds a holocron that has Sideous talking about a wellforce of dark side power in the unknown regions and he has located it. First he has to convert Luke Skywalker to replace Darth Vader though. Luke appears next to him as a force ghost and talks about how well that search for power went for Palpatine, dead with everything he cared about destroyed. Kylo swipes at him but passes through him and luke continues to badger him until his point is through. Rey goes on a mission to find out where Kylo is and finds his ship and tails him by putting a tracker on his ship. She follows him to this wellspring of the force, not jsut the darkside butt he lightside as well. As the grandson of Anakin the wellspring speaks to Kylo. The light the dark both. Rey appreaches him and tries to redeem him, he freaks out and attacks her. She defends herself from him until her Padawan comes in and she gets distracted giving Kylo an opening where kills her and goes to the well after easily force pushing the padawan against the wall telling him/her he'll make them his apprentice later (if not finn)

Back to capital the resistance is pitted in heavy guerrila warfare with th efirst order. Hux leading the first orderis successful in dealing with many of the resistance battles and eventually the heroes are captured.

Back to wellspring Kylo staring into the wellspring is joined by Anakin Skywalker. He tells Kylo about how his conquest for the darkside lead him to losing everything and the onlything that pulled him back from losing everything was his son. He realized his attachments weren't what made him weak like what the Jedi and Sith told him, but made him strong. Kylo looks to Rey and back at anakin as a tear forms anakin nods and kylo reaches into the wellspring and heals Rey. Doing the thing that Anakin couldn't do because he was lied to his whole life. Kylo apologizes to rey and throws his lightsaber away. Rey reaches into her back pocket and produces Leia's blue lightsaber giving it to Kylo. Insert flashback if you need it. But cut back to the climax, Kangaroo court of the first order, the heroes of the resistance are on trial. Hux is ready to execute them when in walks Ben Solo, Rey and her padawan (if not finn) Ben SOlo tells everyone that the first order is a sham (mind you this is broadcast on Holonet) and that he is disbanding it leading to hux freaking out and telling him no it's not a sham he's a false leader and orders guards to capture him leading to a prolonged battle where rey frees her friends who join the frey. Ben tells Rey and Co to get to the Falcon and get to his destroyer and gives them a self destruct code. Kylo dies destroying the first order from the inside while his friends fight for everything.

I didn't even try hard and wrote a better story than RoS. And didn't introduce much new canon breaking stuff.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,485 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Ah Dave Filoni. The guy who had to get knowledge checked by Sam Witwer when he wanted Padme and Shmi to meet for the first time in The Clone Wars when that already happened in TPM.
    You make it seem like Lucas was perfect with his consistency. Ignoring the odd ages of Kenobi and Anakin in the OT vs. prequels. Leia knowing her mother briefly, etc. Lucas has shown the desire to tell the tale now greatly supercedes the desire to be true to the canon.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,905 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    You make it seem like Lucas was perfect with his consistency. Ignoring the odd ages of Kenobi and Anakin in the OT vs. prequels. Leia knowing her mother briefly, etc. Lucas has shown the desire to tell the tale now greatly supercedes the desire to be true to the canon.
    It's a joke my man. Filoni has done mostly good things.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,937 Posts
    The green chick in the Acolyte is awful.
    Some of the worst acting of all time besides the twins in this show.

How come the May gal can find the wookie Jedi but they couldn’t scan for her ship? Lame
    Ivermectin Man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,054 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post

How come the May gal can find the wookie Jedi but they couldn’t scan for her ship? Lame
    Yeah, some of the casting decisions have been puzzling. But there are some bright spots. I want to see more of Manny Jancinto. He's a terrific actor. I'm kind of hoping he's the master just so we'll get more of him and develop his character more.

Amandla Stenberg and Dafne Keen have been good too. I've actually enjoyed Sol too.

I'll add Yord to the list of rough casting though.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,905 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post

I mean it's the director's wife. Nepotism at it's finest.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,905 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post
    Yeah, some of the casting decisions have been puzzling. But there are some bright spots. I want to see more of Manny Jancinto. He's a terrific actor. I'm kind of hoping he's the master just so we'll get more of him and develop his character more.

Amandla Stenberg and Dafne Keen have been good too. I've actually enjoyed Sol too.

I mean the dude thinks Anakin blew up the death star

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,054 Posts
    That explains a lot. I really can't fathom why Bob Iger lets Kennedy keep picking show runners and directors.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,937 Posts

He’s looked like everything in the whole show had been a surprise. Kinda one note.

Yord is cringe too.

So far more balls than strikes on casting
    Ivermectin Man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,485 Posts
    I mean she's had acting credits for years. This isn't James Gunn's wife who was playing bit background parts for years before getting roles only after dating James.

Which no one seems to really care about.

Personally I don't get why people are up in arms. She's overacting perhaps but Star Wars and overacting aren't unfamiliar bedfellows.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,485 Posts

When you realize who Yord is it makes his portrayal better. He's a temple guard. He's supposed to be stiff as hell. He's basically only still involved because of his connection to Osha.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,905 Posts
    I mean she's had acting credits for years. This isn't James Gunn's wife who was playing bit background parts for years before getting roles only after dating James.

Which no one seems to really care about.

Personally I don't get why people are up in arms. She's overacting perhaps but Star Wars and overacting aren't unfamiliar bedfellows.
    Got any more excuses?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,485 Posts
    Got any more excuses?
    I don't think I really made excuses. I just don't get why people care about overacting. Did they care about overacting when Tarkin was hamming it up? Not really because it was fine. I think a lot of people are getting their panties in a wad over someone with like 10 minutes of screen time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,054 Posts
    When you realize who Yord is it makes his portrayal better. He's a temple guard. He's supposed to be stiff as hell. He's basically only still involved because of his connection to Osha.
    Stiff is one thing. Admiral Piett was stiff. The guy playing Yord is wooden.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,937 Posts
    The green goblin is awful.

I wouldn’t call it overacting just lack of it
    Ivermectin Man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,485 Posts
    Stiff is one thing. Admiral Piett was stiff. The guy playing Yord is wooden.
    Interesting you bring up maybe the most forgettable named character in the OT in a positive light.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,485 Posts
    That explains a lot. I really can't fathom why Bob Iger lets Kennedy keep picking show runners and directors.
    THe vast majority of star wars shows are well received. THey only have a handful of showrunners

Filoni (Ahsoka and second fiddle on Mando)
    Favreau (Mando and Book of BOba Fett)
    Gilroy (Andor)
    Headland (Acolyte)
    Harold (Kenobi)

I don't understand the complaints. Basically there's only 1 or 2 showrunners you would see as a failure in any degree.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,054 Posts
    THe vast majority of star wars shows are well received. THey only have a handful of showrunners

Filoni (Ahsoka and second fiddle on Mando)
    Favreau (Mando and Book of BOba Fett)
    Gilroy (Andor)
    Headland (Acolyte)
    Harold (Kenobi)

I don't understand the complaints. Basically there's only 1 or 2 showrunners you would see as a failure in any degree.
    I also said directors. The director tug of war between Abrams and Johnson was embarrassing and Solo was a disaster that Rob Howard had to come in and make only bad.