Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: I need to vent on this Duck Dynasty "Controversy".

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,066 Posts
    Fifth, GLAD and those like them. I like what someone else I read suggested as what would have been a better response on their part:

"We here at GLAAD were disappointed to hear that Phil Robertson thinks homosexuality is a sin. We disagree. However, we acknowledge that he has the right to hold and proclaim these views, just as we have the right to hold and proclaim our views. If we want Americans to be more tolerant of homosexuality, we could hardly accomplish that goal by being intolerant of others who disagree with us. So, we want to say that we respect and tolerate Mr. Robertson’s views, even though we disagree with them. We hope this attitude of mutual respect can allow for more dialogue and conversation about these important issues."

But this isn't the response we get. Why? Because it isn't about dialog. It isn't about tolerance. It isn't about acceptance. It is about approval.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to BedellBrave For This Useful Post:

yeezus (12-19-2013)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,066 Posts
    Sixth, those all wrapped around the axle about this. First world problem dudes. First world problem of a 1 per-center. Get over it.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to BedellBrave For This Useful Post:

yeezus (12-19-2013)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,066 Posts
    Seventh, For those not attuned to Duck Dynasty, it's fly-over, red-state, I-know-these-people-and-I-like-them-better-than- Miley Cyrus, the Kardashians, and the usual Hollywood crap that comes out, fare. And btw, there's a more than just a few fans. And I'll do you a deal, spare me your cut-downs of it (and I'm no fan) and I'll do my darnedest to spare you my cut-downs of all the crap you lap up and think is good stuff.

Course, I'm not promising anything. ;-)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to BedellBrave For This Useful Post:

yeezus (12-19-2013)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,066 Posts
    Eighth, and in the oh-yeah category, for those bemoaning Phil's fate, don't forget Baldwin and Bashir.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to BedellBrave For This Useful Post:

yeezus (12-19-2013)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,066 Posts
    Ninth, consider Baldwin and Phil - maybe we should all just learn this lesson. There's a certain lobby that must not be crossed if you want to remain on TV.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to BedellBrave For This Useful Post:

yeezus (12-19-2013)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,066 Posts
    Robertson family statement:

We want to thank all of you for your prayers and support. The family has spent much time in prayer since learning of A&E's decision. We want you to know that first and foremost we are a family rooted in our faith in God and our belief that the Bible is His word. While some of Phil’s unfiltered comments to the reporter were coarse, his beliefs are grounded in the teachings of the Bible. Phil is a Godly man who follows what the Bible says are the greatest commandments: “Love the Lord your God with all your heart” and “Love your neighbor as yourself.” Phil would never incite or encourage hate.We are disappointed that Phil has been placed on hiatus for expressing his faith, which is his constitutionally protected right.We have had a successful working relationship with A&E but, as a family, we cannot imagine the show going forward without our patriarch at the helm. We are in discussions with A&E to see what that means for the future of Duck Dynasty. Again, thank you for your continued support of our family.
    Last edited by BedellBrave; 12-19-2013 at 10:27 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    I think it's lame to claim "religious freedom" here. He wasn't suspended for simply "expressing faith."
    This is such a tiny deal, I'm not sure why everyone is talking about it. It's his right to say it, it's their right to suspend their employee as long as it's not egregious.

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    877 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    No offense, but: What the **** is Duck Dynasty?
    A show about a guy that started ver Terry Bradshaw in college.

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    877 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KeithLockhart View Post

There are no better people than this.

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,781 Posts
    Not a surprise. From here it's PR Damage control. Robertson released a statement, and now the family released a statement basically asking for forgiveness. In a few weeks or months A&E will bring him back like they did Dog The Bounty Hunter and nobody will remember this.
    Forever Fredi

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,834 Posts
    Having read up on this little snafu a bit, I find Robertson's heinous comments regarding the quality-of-life of African-Americans now versus prior to the Civil Rights period to be much more concerning (and factually inaccurate across almost any measure) than his comments regarding the peccant nature of homosexuality, which (disagree with them as I may) are at least religiously-motivated moral opinion.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,066 Posts
    I think this makes the best sense of what has happened.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,066 Posts
    Not a surprise. From here it's PR Damage control. Robertson released a statement, and now the family released a statement basically asking for forgiveness. In a few weeks or months A&E will bring him back like they did Dog The Bounty Hunter and nobody will remember this.

Not sure you are reading that statement so well.

If PR Damage control statements are needed it will be if they remain on A&E.
    Last edited by BedellBrave; 12-20-2013 at 12:19 AM.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,066 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    Having read up on this little snafu a bit, I find Robertson's heinous comments regarding the quality-of-life of African-Americans now versus prior to the Civil Rights period to be much more concerning (and factually inaccurate across almost any measure) than his comments regarding the peccant nature of homosexuality, which (disagree with them as I may) are at least religiously-motivated moral opinion.

Agree that his Civil Rights comment was the more problematic. But, in all honesty, it reflects the thinking of so many of his generation in the South. A wish projection at best. That said, he did not say “all blacks were happy during Jim Crow,” but only that the ones he knew were. Which indicates to me that he just didn't know them well enough. And it's typically not the best idea for a 67 year old, white redneck from LA, to speak for the experience of African-Americans.
    Last edited by BedellBrave; 12-20-2013 at 12:35 AM.

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BedellBrave For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (12-20-2013), CK86 (12-20-2013), jpx7 (12-20-2013), Runnin (12-20-2013)

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,781 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BedellBrave View Post
    Not sure you are reading that statement so well.

If PR Damage control statements are needed it will be if they remain on A&E.
    Bedell this is run of the mill entertainment industry non-scandal stuff.

1) Celebrity says something that offends.
    2) People get upset and protest the network.
    3) Network reprimands/disciplines talent.
    4) Talent comes out with official statement explaining what happened/apologizing. [(4A) Family also apologizes as well]
    5) News networks run the story to death for a week debating it all day.
    6) People speculate if it's over.
    7) Another news story breaks the coverage and pushes it to page 2.
    8) The scandal fades slowly.
    9) A few months later, they can lift the "suspension" like it never happened
    10) Network and talent both go back to work as if nothing happened and go back to making $$$$
    11) Mass outrage of the story is faded. See: Trayvon Martin, Troy Davis, George Zimmerman, Potential Syria Invasion, Benghazi, Dream Act, Weiner Scandal, etc.
    Forever Fredi

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,066 Posts
    Bedell this is run of the mill entertainment industry non-scandal stuff.

1) Celebrity says something that offends.
    2) People get upset and protest the network.
    3) Network reprimands/disciplines talent.
    4) Talent comes out with official statement explaining what happened/apologizing. [(4A) Family also apologizes as well]
    5) News networks run the story to death for a week debating it all day.
    6) People speculate if it's over.
    7) Another news story breaks the coverage and pushes it to page 2.
    8) The scandal fades slowly.
    9) A few months later, they can lift the "suspension" like it never happened
    10) Network and talent both go back to work as if nothing happened and go back to making $$$$

Again, I don't think you are reading it well enough. Not really an apology. More like a shot across the bow. A shot or two. I also don't think you quite get A&E's problem here.

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,781 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BedellBrave View Post
    Again, I don't think you are reading it well enough. Not really an apology. More like a shot across the bow. A shot or two. I also don't think you quite get A&E's problem here.
    I did read it.

Robertsons are trying to play a little hardball (probably because they don't know how the game works).

A&E has only suspended him indefinitely, they haven't terminated him. Also, depending on the contract they signed, it's very likely when the seasons were renewed there was a no-compete clause on there meaning should A&E drop them for some reason, they aren't allowed to go to another network and make a show with the same or similar premise creatively. This is done for every major show that's ever dominated ratings wise. Other shows that get cancelled can get revived on another network if they buy them, but if A&E chooses to "end" the series instead of canceling it, it's very plausible their family would have a hard time making a new show on another network. Not saying it's not possible but it wouldn't be called "Duck Dynasty" as A&E owns that trademark, and anything related to what used to be on that show cannot be copied or redone.
    Forever Fredi

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,066 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,757 Posts
    So when was the Bible declared hate speech? A&E is going to have their asses handed to them. They can suspend Phil all they want but if the crew wont continue the show or the fans dont watch it they will cave fairly quickly.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,265 Posts
    when Phil and the rest in this country that "preach the good word" come out to be pro slave beating and being able to sell his daughter into slavery and against tats and clothes being made of 2 different threads and all the other stuff they skip over to say homosexuality is a sin

i will then listen to them

cause if you aren't in favor of the rest, i don't see why they would pick and choose what to believe in the Bible

27. The Following User Says Thank You to goldfly For This Useful Post:

yeezus (12-20-2013)