Game One, Suspended Game
    GC Braves 1, BC Orioles 0

WP: R.Rodriguez (2-0) 5 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 4 K
    Joseph (Save, 1) 2 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 2 K

Backstrom 1-2 HR (1st), RBI
    Morton 1-3, 2B
    Mezquita 1-1, 2 BB, 2 SB

Game Two
    GC Orioles 2, GC Braves 2 (8th, suspended)
    Last edited by rico43; 07-05-2021 at 04:39 PM.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rico43 For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (07-05-2021), jpx7 (07-05-2021)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,008 Posts
    FCL Braves win first of two 1-0 on Mahki Backstrom's first HR of the year. Rainiery Rodriguez with the win (2-0). 5 IP, 3H, 0R, 1 BB, 4 K.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

clvclv (07-05-2021), Deester11 (07-05-2021), jpx7 (07-05-2021)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Shouldn't this be combined with the other thread?
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,008 Posts
    FCL Braves tie the FCL Orioles Black (Orioles have 2 FCL teams) in the 7th yesterday and have the bases loaded in the top of the 8th with one out when the game was suspended.

Interesting question for those who might know. Orioles, Pirates, and Tigers all have two teams in the FCL. Giants, Brewers, and Royals all have two teams in the ACL. I thought there was a limit in the number of players a team could have under contract in their minor league system and my guess is teams with two entrants in the complex leagues would blow through the roof on that. Maybe the limit applied to players above the complex/foreign league level. Curious if anyone knows the answer.

I see the Dominican Summer League is listed on the minor league scoreboard page, but the link goes to "Sorry. No page." I'd like to see that roster for the Braves. I imagine that is where Tavarez will get his professional feet wet.
    Last edited by 50PoundHead; 07-06-2021 at 08:54 AM.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    FCL Braves tie the FCL Orioles Black (Orioles have 2 FCL teams) in the 7th yesterday and have the bases loaded in the top of the 8th with one out when the game was suspended.

Interesting question for those who might know. Orioles, Pirates, and Tigersl all have two teams in the FCL. Giants, Brewers, and Royals all have two teams in the ACL. I thought there was a limit in the number of players a team could have under contract in their minor league system and my guess is teams with two entrants in the complex leagues would blow through the roof on that. Maybe the limit applied to players above the complex/foreign league level. Curious if anyone knows the answer.

I see the Dominican Summer League is listed on the minor league scoreboard page, but the link goes to "Sorry. No page." I'd like to see that roster for the Braves. I imagine that is where Tavarez will get his professional feet wet.
    I think it's this - only applies to the number of players that are active in official MiLB games.

The number of players teams are allowed to have at and in their complex leagues is probably up to them and their budgets - if they're willing to pay for more staff and players (and the extra overhead/insurance/etc. that comes with that) that would otherwise be in unaffiliated ball that's probably their choice to make.

As for DSL rosters and Tavarez, I checked the link too and wondered exactly the same thing.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,514 Posts
    I think I remember Baseball America writing that we won't have a DSL team this year.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to CJ9 For This Useful Post:

clvclv (07-06-2021)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ9 View Post
    I think I remember Baseball America writing that we won't have a DSL team this year.
    Don't recall that specifically, but if that's the case you'd expect Tavarez is probably working out with the complex league team even if they're not going to put him on the roster.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,008 Posts
    That would make sense. I see a few guys on the Florida roster that would have probably been in the Dominican Summer League to get ABs/IPs if nothing else. Man, those international sanctions were a gift that kept on giving.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,514 Posts
    Found this from Talking Chop: https://www.talkingchop.com/atlanta-...atlanta-braves.

Looks like no DSL until maybe next year?

13. The Following User Says Thank You to CJ9 For This Useful Post:

clvclv (07-06-2021)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,008 Posts
    Found this from Talking Chop: https://www.talkingchop.com/atlanta-...atlanta-braves.

Looks like no DSL until maybe next year?
    Doesn't make a whole lot of sense at a level unless the budget simply doesn't allow for it. You have a lot of guys on the FCL roster who simply aren't going to get ABs/IPs. Of course, if you don't have enough guys to really field a team, what can you do? The international sanctions were one thing, but I can remember that OF Asmin Bautista was their top international signing the first year of the sanctions, and he hasn't been seen after his first season. Could be an injury or it could be the .542 OPS he put up in his only season.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Doesn't make a whole lot of sense at a level unless the budget simply doesn't allow for it. You have a lot of guys on the FCL roster who simply aren't going to get ABs/IPs. Of course, if you don't have enough guys to really field a team, what can you do? The international sanctions were one thing, but I can remember that OF Asmin Bautista was their top international signing the first year of the sanctions, and he hasn't been seen after his first season. Could be an injury or it could be the .542 OPS he put up in his only season.
    I think a lot of those kids we've seen on DSL rosters in recent years are "one chance to prove it" types - particularly with the sanctions. If we're signing 16-18 year olds who's best offer is $5-10K, it probably doesn't take you much time to see if they're going to start filling out and at least have some propensity to handle instruction, understand potential adjustments (not necessarily making them at that age - just understanding what and why they're being asked to do something), etc..

It probably doesn't take evaluators long to decide it's time to bring in several other kids that you have minimal investments in after they've worked with them for a few months. There may be the odd one of those types that slips through your hands every once in a while, but there won't be many - most of the ones with at least some legitimate ceiling to them typically get at least $50K bonuses.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,008 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    I think a lot of those kids we've seen on DSL rosters in recent years are "one chance to prove it" types - particularly with the sanctions. If we're signing 16-18 year olds who's best offer is $5-10K, it probably doesn't take you much time to see if they're going to start filling out and at least have some propensity to handle instruction, understand potential adjustments (not necessarily making them at that age - just understanding what and why they're being asked to do something), etc..

It probably doesn't take evaluators long to decide it's time to bring in several other kids that you have minimal investments in after they've worked with them for a few months. There may be the odd one of those types that slips through your hands every once in a while, but there won't be many - most of the ones with at least some legitimate ceiling to them typically get at least $50K bonuses.
    That's largely true, but Bautista was signed for $300,000. They've had some really crap team in the DSL over the years, so I guess I'm a little surprised that didn't throw a crap team out there again this year just to see if any of the low-level signings had anything to offer.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

clvclv (07-06-2021)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    That's largely true, but Bautista was signed for $300,000. They've had some really crap team in the DSL over the years, so I guess I'm a little surprised that didn't throw a crap team out there again this year just to see if any of the low-level signings had anything to offer.
    Didn't check on Bautista's bonus - hadn't realized he got that deal.